Italy 2006

Urbino, Marche: 16-17 June

Between Norcia and Urbino we visited Loreto, which has the house of the Virgin Mary, miraculously transported there by angels around 1300. The Blessed House is in the church in the background of this photo.

Detail of the fountain outside the church.


Urbino is another hill town, not changed much in centuries inside the walls, but home to a lively university, founded in 1506. Most of its major buildings date from the reign of Federico da Montefeltro, Duke of Urbino in the second half of the fifteenth century. It was a short, but very steep, walk from our hotel just inside the wall to the town centre.

The Ducal Palace and the Duomo.

The rear of the Ducal Palace, seen from the town wall.

The courtyard inside the Ducal Palace.

Another view of the Duomo and town.

Spire of the church of San Francesco.


Click here to go on to Venezia.

 

Copyright © 2006 by Nick and Lynn Booth. This page last edited 12 April, 2010
Click here to contact us or to request a full-size photo